It's discouraging to be working so hard on understanding the religious traditions, symbols, and discourse that intersect in today's global context - to have my nose in books aiming me at being better able to advocate for religious understanding - and then to come across such rampant, unbridled instances of religious misunderstanding (and ignorance!) being amplified by pundits and political figures.
I say "unbridled", but that's not true. Both articles that I linked to above effectively bridle the mis-placed slant that is being unambiguously applied to American Muslims. And there is plenty more critique, thank God. I say "unbridled" because I haven't done anything to rein it back. Unbridled, as of yet, by me.
So consider this my contribution to the pursuit of religious understanding. (It is a thing that we pursue, by the way, regardless of how impossible it may be to ultimately attain.) Today is Ash Wednesday. It is a day more or less designed to humble us (the Christian population of the world) and remind us of our finitude; remind us that we are not and do not possess, in any conclusive form, the answer to the human situation.
Today I have an ashen cross on my forehead. I have tear stains on my cheeks. I have a heavy heart. I heard this poem (by a Muslim mystic), and it helped:
Troubled?
Then stay with me, for I am not.
Lonely?
A thousand naked amorous ones dwell in ancient caves beneath my eyelids.
Riches?
Here’s a pick,
my whole body is an emerald that begs,
“Take me.”
Write all that worries you on a piece of parchment;
offer it to God.
Even from the distance of a millennium
I can lean the flame in my heart
into your life
and turn
all that frightens you
into holy
incense
ash.
No comments:
Post a Comment