Friday, April 24, 2009

philippians 4.7

My wife is asleep in bed right now and I am up, awake, later than I should be because I can't shake a feeling.

I sense that some people in my life think I have given up on God and that I have devoted my thoughts and efforts to things less than worthy of a life's devotion. And that sense troubles me, it has be scrambling for an explanation -- an explanation of my own or one from one of them, except that none of them have accused me of any such thing, it's just a sense, a feeling I can't shake.
So I'm left to explain on my own.

I know there are a couple things I believe in, a couple things that make me a believer and they aren't exclusively Christian or religious.

I believe, somewhat naively, in the potential for redemption, that redemption is possible for any individual and that it's possible in any social situation. Love is more powerful than anything else, and it's confusing and complex and sometimes contradictory. Forgiveness goes out of its way to break ground for redemption -- I've witnessed all of that from beginning to end, for example, in my parents' story. And I continue to keep my eyes peeled for it elsewhere in life.

I believe in the natural rhythm of things, sometimes even mystically. The slow steady fidelity of tides and seasons and growth and reproduction, for instance. To call anything supernatural is redundant. The natural is extraordinary, and confusing and complex and sometimes contradictory -- containing struggle and regeneration, heartache and elation, death and life.

In regards to those two things, call the first "Love" and the second "Life" both with capital "L's", I am a believer. And when I write this, when I claim it, it makes me feel like I have a bold and strong faith in God. Even though I don't use the word "God" as much as I once did, or credit things to "God" as readily, I haven't turned my back on God. Consider it all an attempt to not take the Lord's name in vain, to not take "God" for granted.

By not identifying as a Christian I am not trying to distance myself from anyone. With these attempts at explanation that I continually make -- in my head, on paper, out loud, here on my blog -- I am trying to benefit (not condemn) anyone who might be interested in knowing me, it's in order to enhance (not dishevel) the potential for our relationship.

By not saying, "I am a Christian" or "I believe 'such and such' about God" I am not trying to judge those who do. The thing is I'm proud of me, and chances are I'm proud of you too. Give me the benefit of the doubt and you'll see that what you believe about God and the good life is alive and well in me. Just as I see it in you.

Nor do I desire to distance myself from my heritage. Everyone of my days as a child was tempered in the furnace of Christianity and strong family ties. Any time I bask in the memory pools of my upbringing it's a balm to my soul's skin and I get to feeling smooth, fragrant, and fresh. I like most of the influences and experiences that have helped shape who I am and am becoming. The handful that I don't like I at least appreciate and don't resent. I consider myself well crafted, and the smiths' hands are many.

Suffice it to say? I am not an atheist, not even an agnostic, though I know, love, and appreciate several of each sort. I am a believer through and through. And even if I'm not that kind of a believer, I am one nonetheless.

I'm conservative too. It just has more to do with the way I refrain from kicking around the word "God" and other religious lingo. A rose by any other name...
Which is to say that God has a distinct scent and I'm trying more and more to trust my sense of smell, even at the expense of some of my past convictions and especially at the expense of my prejudices.

Does this make sense? I feel like it should but fear it doesn't but it's important to me that it does. What I want more than anything in life is peace that involves everything, including everyone, including you and me. That doesn't imply a need for sameness between us, but does depend, to some extent I think, on understanding. So let's not hide our questions from one another, nor be eager to change each other.
I want you to be honestly you. And me to be honestly me. And trust "God" to take care of the rest.

4 comments:

  1. Philippinas 4:1 in my Bible has "my kids" wrtten beside it! "you whom I love and I long for, my joy and my crown." I will always be connected with you and Laura as my children, and over the years I have learned much from both of you. The connection between you and I has changed over the past few years and although I don't fear change I havn't always understood it...but I will always be honest with you and right now I want to honestly say, thank you! Thank you for writing that, and thank you for your love for friends and family. The only change I have witnessed in the area of your love to others is that it continues to grow!!
    Mom xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I understand what you are saying, however I am seeing more people stray from believing the Truth, the Gospel, Jesus. Maybe I don't quite understand or am reading it wrong, but in Love I am asking if it is there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to(I think) paraphrase a much deeper word than mine...this is my son of whom I have much pride and pleasure...as some have asked me of the state of your soul this past year I continue to answer (as I have told you)that in your life and heart and soul and actions and attitudes and mind and love I see the fleshing out of the words and call of Jesus as he walked this earth and tried to get people to see and hear and taste and feel and experience and live in a wider,deeeper,fuller expression and experience of the dream for this creation that we are part of...and so whatever words or phrases one wants to use to express a belief I believe you live insuch a way that pleases the Creator and if your lack of using certain terminolgy to classify yourself results in you being banned from the creation redeemed and renewed well i don't think that would be a place I would want to be in...I want to be in the creration that you are living and loving and believing in...sorry about the eecummingsrunonsentenceoveruseofdescriptors...love you,father

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as you are seeking Christ and His creation and experiences centered around His glory I think you are fine. Know that it is not for any of us to judge but to help one another find Him. If people are judging they may have issues of their own.
    I fear that people find security in the term "christian" and not in the daily dying of ones selfishness, in the ultimate seeking of God. It is easier to label ones self and not evaluate our consistent changing thoughts and ideas. There is one thing I continue to find out about God in everything I do, may it be in the relationships with my wife and daughter, my job or my life Jesus loves us more than we can really comprehend and wants us desperately to accept that love. More and more I am finding that love can be found nowhere else and it is truly amazing. This is where we need to center, on Jesus.
    If you are seeking Him, serving others, and loving all I am sure you are on the right track. Know that God is always there even if we are not using his name directly. Also know that you are always a dear friend of mine and held close to my heart!
    Love ya bro
    "Josh Hazelton" (said to the tune of "by mennen")

    sorry my words are by no means as eloquent as yours but I am just a lowly science teacher

    ReplyDelete