Even the tiniest fragments of life shared has the power to quelch great furies of lonliness.
Broken bread and the common cup, Bonhoeffer's 'Life Together', the doctrine of the holy Trinity, People's Market in the park between Sandycove and Dun Laughaire -- we are meant to commune; by these things and more I have been convinced. And the idea of such communion, not to mention the brief and often whispy but very real glimpses of its realization, is absolutely saturated with the staggering hope of what some of us call the gospel.
I'm ready to live this, and to know it, and to spread it like the contagion that it is.
Now how do we go about it?
I believe it begins and ends with laughter.
I believe along the way it is just as full of tears and honest struggle as it is of the playful endeavor of creating memories of joy.
I believe it means we begin loving one another even and especially when it makes us sweat and feel pain. I believe it means we begin loving not only each other but also the others we label as 'them' until 'they' have disappeared into the all embracing 'us'.
I believe we ought to take seriously, and maybe even literally, some of the things that Jesus more-than-suggested; some of the things we have failed to include in our white-picket-fenced gospel of personal space and private property.
We should pray. We should want it. And we should try.
"The new story [which is also the oldest] is about communion, and it will be up to us whether we experience it as a taste of heaven or as a dose of the other place." (a.jones)
No comments:
Post a Comment