a lot of the people that are my age-ish will live here a while, leave, then come back. they get stuck. apperently edinburgh is very sticky.
i don't feel stuck yet. though i suppose i could see how it would happen if totally all of your friends were here. it's an intriguing city with plenty of cool places to hang out and one awesome cheese monger shop to visit daily (if you are bowel-worthy). i was wondering the other day if i would end up feeling the stickiness after being here a while, but then realized..
i like it plenty, but there's no way i could stay here indefinately. why? peanut butter. there's only like two kinds of peanut butter in the grocery stores and of those two kinds there's like maybe seven jars of each, tops, on the shelf. and it's none too cheap. i don't get it. until this afternoon i had gone two days without because sainsbury's which is behind jenners across from the walter scott monument that is next to the information/tourist center on princes street near waverly bridge hadn't restocked the shelves with the cheapest brand. absence makes the heart grow fonder - it's true. my long awaited bagette and peanut butter pic nic in the rain (fine scottish weather) was emmaculate.. that's too strong a description, it was delicious though, really really really delicious.
between damp pb sandwiches and free tea in the lounge at the hostel i've been looking for a job and finding the best places to walk to and sit at in the city. meanwhile i'm still working at the hostel to cover accomadation.
thanks for prayers.
i need them because they struggle in the orange juice department here too.
but the chocolate bars and biscuits demolish anything and everything in the US.
Luckily, Australia has peanut butter. Furthermoe, Aussie chocolate kicks American chocolate's butt, hands down.
ReplyDeleteHowever, one finds oneself longing for a nice heaping bowl of American CocoaPuffs or Count Chocula occasionally...
I hear you on the UK peanut butter attempts, Aram...it just isn't the same. The closest thing to good PB is SunPat, which Tim Boland swears is better than American PB, but I disagree. HOWEVER there's always Cadbury's Smooth, which I ate on my toast every morning for breakfast when I was in England - mmm...chocolate for breakfast! :)
ReplyDeleteThe Sainsbury's near the Walter Scott monument?!? I'VE BEEN THERE!!! I bought spaghetti and bread and cheese there! What hostel are you staying at? I can't remember the name of the one Katrina & I stayed at, but it was something like Castle Rock, really close to Edinburgh Castle. The botanical gardens are awesome, and there are some amazing places to hike! I take it you already found the rolling hills covered in gorse (the yellow bushes that smell like coconut), from where you can see the ocean...simply breathtaking. Enjoy the beauty, and the stickiness, and the company of people, and the presence of God.
Grace and peace to you!
~Becca Clark
Imagine a nice plate of crisp Nutter Butters with a side of cold chocolate milk.
ReplyDeleteMmm... be right back. Gotta get a snack...
It is true that non-American countries struggle with quality peanut butter, but then again they didn't have a George Washington Carver.
ReplyDeleteOn the flipside, non-American countries have gifted the world with the wonder that is Nutella!
I'm loving the posts Aram!
bro i love you, just wanted to say hi, and to let you know that i'm bloging at micahdormann.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteok so how random is this, I clicked on charles meeks' blog, cuz i'm jealous he's in aus. and then i started clicking on random ppl's blogs from his site, clicked on yours.. and wow you're in scotland. i was just in edinburgh last wknd! and i hate that walter scott monument, i think it's hideous. and i walked up that hill - though didn't make it to arthur's seat cuz it was dark, and i was by myself.. and well you just never know. but i have also been to that sainsburys!! too weird.. houghton people all over the world i tell you.. (oh and hey, if you don't know who this, i was a good friend of leigh kanski's, who kept offering you cupcakes at her bday party during mayterm... ha)
ReplyDelete