Sunday, October 09, 2005

lessons from a stray

These past days I have been living along side of family and friends in Indianapolis. I've been a substitute teacher a few times at my old middle school. I've camped out with Colin (step-brother) in the back yard. I've done some porch sitting with such gentlemen as Jimi Moore (friend) and Ben Blevins (friend). I've played touch-football with David (brother thru marriage) and the neighborhood boys. I've shared some walks with Laurence (father) and Kisa (dog).
Recently when Dad and I go for walks with Kisa around the block, Fuzz joins us. Fuzz is this wiry, stray black cat who begs for food door to door and has so captured our hearts that he's gained for himself a steady diet and a blanket to curl up on on the porch. And Fuzz likes us too. He sees us heading down the sidewalk and runs along behind, finding tall grass and urban gardens to act like a jungle cat in. He and Kisa will pause every so often to annoy and threaten and play with eachother. It's adorable and, honestly, I've been inspired by this feisty, freeloading, feline. What's inspiring is that he is so very much himself - lounging on the porch, running through the grass, meowing at the door, cuddled at your side - he's him, and he seems to love it, to really enjoy it, for the most part. And what with my tendency to overcare about what other people think about me, and to compare myself to people I think are cool - this cat that has pretty well got it all together is very encouraging.

I'm glad there's space on God's dance floor for white boys like me.

1 comment:

  1. Go white boy go white boy go...

    -long time no see. but i'm watching your life again through your blog, bud!

    David
    (david@drurywriting.com)

    ReplyDelete